A Wart Well or Bullaun stone located in the sacristy of Timoleague Friary. Local folklore traditions suggest that the water collected in the depression of the stone has healing powers.
View of the tower crossing from the cloister which connected the domestic offices with the church.
An arched and gated entranceway introduces the observer to this high cross located within a small chapel that was later built to the east of the south transept of Timoleague Friary
View of the interior of the Nave at Timoleague Friary with a view of the crossing tower and choir window to the east. The east choir is a triple lancet window similar to that found in the south transept.
The newest addition to our Deep Maps project team
The Rapids at Lough Hyne located at the SE entrance of the lough, leading into Barloge Creek. The reconstructed Famine Wall, originally built in the 1850’s is also visible along the western side of the constriction
The shallow constriction known as the Rapids at Lough Hyne is no more than 5m deep at high tide with current speeds reaching 3 m/s. This lead to considerable erosion and damage to the Famine Wall as can be seen in this photograph taken by Dr. Rob McAllen of
This camera shy specimen is the common sea urchin (Echinus esculentus) typically found around the Whirlpool Cliffs at Lough Hyne. A member of class Echinoidea of the phylum echinoderm, it uses surrounding seaweed to camouflage itself.
Lough Hyne is Ireland’s only Marine Nature Reserve and has been the subject of ongoing research since initial scientific investigations undertaken by Rev. William Spotswood Green in 1886.